Sep 8, 2009

Miss Chatty

I remember when I worried that Katie wasn't very verbal. She had been saying words like "uh-oh" and "dog" and then one day she seemed to lose them. It was silly of me to worry. She's smart and happy and healthy. And knowing what I know about the theory of Multiple Intelligences, it's obvious that Katie has Bodily-Kinesthetic smarts through the roof. (She's loving gymnastics, by the way!) And when I stopped to count, she really did have quite a few words, including signs, and was usually able to communicate her needs and wants clearly and effectively.

But lately she has just started chatting up a storm. Lots and lots of babbling, and everyday a new word or phrase comes out of her mouth. She knows eye, nose, mouth, tongue, belly, feet, legs, arms, bottom. Cat, dog, and horse, although they all say "Woof!" Tiny, Mama, Daddee (although everyone knows she loves Daddee most!). She has been telling Tiny to "Shush!" and "Shhh!" for a long time now. "Oh, wow!" "Yay!" "Go!" which she used a lot at the football game the other night, and is turning into quite the backseat driver. Signs for more, up, plane, ball, please, thank you, all done. She surprised us with "Diaper" the other day, and made up a sign she uses when she says "Nuu" for Nuk.

But it's the phrases that astound me. Today she was being nosy, watching the neighbor girl get in her car. She started waving and saying "Bye bye!" And I said "Bye bye, Susan!" and Katie followed me with "Bye bye, Busa!" She put my flip flops on my bare feet, saying "Here oo go!" She cuddled her stuffed doggie, crooning "Aww, goo' boy!" I know these are phrases she's copying from me, but she's so amazing to me! I have a feeling things aren't going to be quiet again around here for a long time!

1 comment:

MSB said...

Olivia was a late talker, too... my mother in law was panicked! But, when I counted at 18 months, she was using 48 signs!

Once she started talking she went straight to phrases and never looked back!